I am the District Safeguarding Officer for Chester and Stoke-on-Trent.
The District Safeguarding Officer takes a lead for the Methodist Church in the Chester and Stoke-on-Trent District on issues relating to the safeguarding and protection of children and vulnerable adults and is required to:
- Have oversight of church, circuit and district compliance with the Methodist Safeguarding Procedures.
- Provide policy advice and other guidance to Churches and Circuits.
- Serve on the District Safeguarding Group and attend other meetings as required.
- Keep up to date with relevant national and Methodist legislation.
- Ensure that the Circuit Safeguarding Trainers, Superintendent Ministers and Circuit Representatives are kept updated on any relevant matters.
- Promote good communication and effective information sharing, including a proper understanding of the bounds of confidentiality.
- Co-ordinate the provision of opportunities for safeguarding learning/training across the District.
- Work with the Discipleship and Ministries Learning Network in the delivery of designated safeguarding training.
- Be available to offer advice on individual cases and individual undertaking risk assessments, have oversight of safeguarding contracts and represent the Church in meetings with external organisations as necessary.
- Undertake safeguarding risk assessments for the Connexional Safeguarding Committee.
- Be committed to personal continuing professional development, undertake any training necessary and participate in the organisation’s supervision and appraisal system.